Hardwood Flooring Update
When we first moved into the house, we knew that there would be a few projects that we needed to work on. The floors in the bedrooms upstairs were the first on our very long list of To Do’s. The floors are made of a hard wood peg oak. Which I must admit, were one of my favorite things about this house when we did our walk through. I could see the potential underneath the dirt and grime. They had seen a lot of damage over the years. They were discolored in areas where the sun had bleached the floors out and the varnish had been worn off in other areas so that the wood itself was being exposed. So for the next few weeks we all camped out in the living and dining room until we could get the flooring finished.
- Drum floor sander (rented at Home Depot)
- Floor edger (rented at Home Depot)
- Sand paper for both sanders (Grits of 60, 80, 120)
- Shop Vac
- Microfiber cloth mop
- Stain of choice; we used
- staining rags
- lambswool applicator (x2)
- wet sandpaper
This project was MESSY to say the least. First off, you start sanding. This process was intense! My muscles ached by the end of the day. The edger was so heavy and will take you for a ride if you don’t have a handle on it well enough. Please note that it is noisy and sawdust gets every where! Wear protection for your ears, eyes and mouth! *not pictured* I wore a pair of Beats headphones to drown out the noise.
When you are sanding, you have to go over the whole flooring with 3 different grits of sandpaper. You work from the smallest grit (60) to the largest grit (120). This is done to create a smoother finish. You also want to go with the grain of the wood. It is harder to get a smoother finish if you go against the grain.
This is after using the edger with the 60 grit sand paper. As you can see, the 60 grit does the job getting off all of the old varnish. It was so exciting to see the wood underneath. I knew that this project was going to be amazing.
Such a HUGE difference! I actually truly loved the look of the flooring naked like this. I almost chose to keep the flooring light. We had a few spots in the other room that were discolored and would not do well with just a gloss. Ultimately, we ended up choosing this stain, which I absolutely love. Also, don’t you love our master bedroom’s vintage watercolor wallpaper???
At this point, you want to clean. Vacuum and mop with a DRY microfiber cloth. Then vacuum and mop with a DRY microfiber cloth again. I think we did this 5 or 6 times, just to make sure that all the saw dust was gone. Any of the left over saw dust could create issues when you apply the stain.
We started applying the stain at night, the lighting was not great. After a few passes, we decided it would be better to stop. We started again the next day. We used the lambs wool applicator to apply the stain and then the staining cloths to wipe away the excess. I didn’t want too dark of a stain. The stain is supposed to cure for 24 hours before you try and apply any of the polyurethane.
Lastly, we applied the polyurethane. It was SO stinky! All of our windows were open and we had fans on trying to get all the smell out of the house. We put the first coat of polyurethane on. The first coat just lays down a good surface for you. You let this coat cure, then come back in with wet sand paper and rub the surface smooth. We used a bowl of water and a few drops of dish soap with our sand paper. Once you sand the whole surface, you will have a bunch of cloudy white marks. (It is supposed to look like that!) Wipe the white away with a damp cloth, let dry and then you are good to apply your final coat of polyurethane.
Overall, I am pleased with the results. I think that the flooring looks 1000 x better than when we moved in. The flooring looks more cohesive and I love that you can see the grain in the wood, better than before.